Monday, July 17, 2006

Hell: Hot or Cold?

We're havin' a heatwave right now. Heat index is >100 right now. Always makes me think of The Seven-Year Itch starring Marilyn Monroe and Tom Ewell. I love that movie, with Marilyn standing over the subway grating (no need to describe all -- every redblooded male in America knows it well) and Tom's fantasies of her (he in a housecoat and ascot) while Rachmaninoff's piano concerto thunders on the soundtrack. I remember an old friend, Al St. Paul, ex-master sergeant from WWII days. He is one of those whose association I wished had extended back to the days when we were both practicing drunks so we could have drunk together. (Right now, watching The World's Fastest Indian --thanks, son, for a great recommend -- I recall that Anthony Hopkins is a recovering alcoholic and I would have loved to drink with him but I digress.) Anyhow, Al speculated that, if Eskimos had written the Bible rather than the people of the hot Holy Land, then we would have the depiction of hell as cold rather than hot.

No comments: