Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy Fourth

Outside last night people were shooting off firecrackers. This is the eve of the Fourth, the holiday celebrating this nation’s declaration of independence from Britain in 1776. The founding of what became the United States of America is truly a wonderful and remarkable achievement, and a blessing on its citizens. We are far from perfect. What a lot of our detractors say is true, and I have been one of our most vituperative critics.

I guess what has put me off about patriotism is that it has been hijacked by a bunch of simplistic, my-country-right-or-wrong, America-love it-or-leave-it, gunboat diplomacy, greedy, grabby men. Patriotism means love of country, and loving your country means wanting what’s best for it, and fighting for that -- fighting for your country to do the right thing, the noble, the charitable, the honorable thing.

We are not supposed to be bullies, ruling by might and force and violence. We are supposed to be internationalists, humbly recognizing our place as just one of the sovereign countries on this planet. We certainly should not be saying, "the UN is irrelevant." That's O'Reilly talk.

We are supposed to share our wealth with those less fortunate than we are. We are supposed to address the problems of the world, like poverty, and famine, and disease. We are supposed to make our own country a utopia as much as we can for all of our people so that no one is hungry or sick or poor or uneducated. We are supposed to believe in and fight fiercely for our freedom of speech and the press and religion.

When I think lovingly of the wonderful United States of America, I think of George Washington and Thomas Jefferson and Ben Franklin -- not George W. Bush and Dick Cheney and Karl Rove. I think of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution and the Bill of Rights -- not the Patriot Act and executive branch secrecy and government eavesdropping, and officially condemning the press (whatever in hell that means). I think of the Peace Corps -- not the Marine Corps. I think of diplomacy that includes diplomats who even speak the language of the country -- not freedom fries and laws making English the official language.

In writing this and posting it on the worldwide web, I am fighting for my country. I am a patriot. God bless the USA and all the people of the world. God have mercy on the USA and all the people of the world.

2 comments:

CherylRenee said...

I think back on the history of the United States. I know that we are living through one of the many dark times in our history. It takes a long time for positive change. We will not see the country reach its potential in our lifetime.

JT Evans said...

Maybe in yours if not mine, Cheryl.