Thursday, July 20, 2006

Do You Know the Lord?

With regard to my state of grace, or anybody else's, I would like to refer readers of this blog to words attributed to Jesus in Matthew 7:1. Look it up. And if the shoe fits, wear it. And while you're at it, read all of the Sermon on the Mount. It's a pretty good synopsis of Christianity. If we'd all put it into practice, what a wonderful world this would be. Seems I recall there's a lot in there about not judging others, not making a public show of your religion, and forgiving others. And having compassion for the poor, by the way. (What minimum wage would Jesus pay?)

We went to a visitation of a family member back in about February, in North Vernon. We had to park on the side of the street opposite the funeral parlor, and an amiable gentleman with a hand-held stop sign of the kind held by school-crossing guards saw us across. I hope the kind man didn't mug the old lady crossing-guard down the street for the sign, because he said the crossing was dangerous but he wasn't worried for himself because, he said, "I know the Lord."

What is it about such comments that piss me off? I wanted to say to him, "Yes, but does the Lord know you?" (I didn't, and I didn't confront the preacher who gave the two sermons promising damnation the other day.) It's that certainty that leads to judgment of others' grace, I believe, and if you're the Present Occupant in the Oval Office with all that power, judgment of others'right to live (fetuses excepted, of course). Never was there somebody so certain who is so wrong.

As for anonymous comments on my blog: all comments are welcome -- well, acceptable. I defend your right to speak your mind. I refer you to the First Amendment to the Constitution, which we are all experts on, of course. I do prefer that you identify yourself, especially if you are going to take an accusatory tone. That notion comes from the Constitution too, to wit, the Sixth Amendment, in which the right of the accused to face the accuser is guaranteed. Seems that people who hide -- whether they are wearing a black ski mask and carrying an Uzi, or concealing themselves behind white sheets as they burn crosses -- are all too often terrorists.

3 comments:

JT Evans said...

I think I know who the idiot is. Don't expect the level of discourse to be elevated for a while.

Anonymous said...

WMWWJP?

I see a t-shirt, JT.

Saturday morning I'll tell you about how I feel about anonymous's comments on Donna's blog. Very prescient.

I will not comment further as I want to try to keep it clean. (For now)

Anonymous said...

It must really be sad to be so lost.