Tuesday, April 10, 2007

"Music Is My Rampart, and My Only One"

One of my favorite movies is The Milagro Beanfield War, and the music is by Dave Grusin. He won the Oscar in 1988 for the music for that movie! Of course, I don't think much of the judges who award Oscars, and I have no idea how they came up with their decision, but Grusin beat out Johnnie Williams for The Accidental Tourist, George Fenton (Dangerous Liaisons), Maurice Jarre (Gorillas in the Mist), and Hans Zimmer (Rain Man). I don't recall the music of any of those except that of Williams, but I would say from the names that Dave's winning -- I should certainly say the music he composed -- was a tour de force. George Fenton did Shadowlands, for example. Hans Zimmer did Driving Miss Daisy and many wonderful works. Of course you know I'm a nut for The Milagro Beanfield War. Play the music, if it's available, at my funeral.

No comments: