Friday, April 13, 2007

Howard Redux

Early this morning I bought a 20-inch Magnavox and took it to Rosie's dad at Thornton Terrace. He told me he wanted a radio too. I said we'd take care of that. He said he wasn't going to the dining room today. I told him his daughter wouldn't be there until after lunch and would be upset with him if he missed a meal. I told him it was paid for and the seniors there would miss him.

So he agreed to go to lunch. Then the two of us walked to the lunch room, a good hike for him with his walker. I told him I was walking with him on his left, because military etiquette dictated that the person junior in rank walks on the left. Because of his trouble with hearing and a little with comprehension I'm not sure he understood what I was saying. But I meant it. I respect the old guy.

We waited a while for things to get going, the drinks served, the food served, etc. We sat alone at his table and that made him a little anxious because he is nothing if not a social person. Finally arriving at his table was a World War II vet, a heroic fighter pilot, who is one of my dearest friends and as a fellow retail merchant a man Howard has known all his days working in downtown Madison. Then Howard's grandson Brian showed up.

Anyhow, someone recently told us that it generally takes about two weeks for a senior newly placed in a nursing home to adjust to his or her new environment. Well, the old gentleman is ahead of the curve.

Good for him.

1 comment:

dddonna said...

I had lunch with Millie Draper and some of the ladies at the Terrace one day and it was delicious. Howard had better keep going to the dining room. I think that you can eat there with him by making a reservation.