Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Basil Poledouris, 1945-2006

I just found this out. Basil Poledouris, movie composer, died November 8th. He did the kind of stuff I like, e.g. Lonesome Dove and the movie that first caught my attention, Quigley Down Under. I loved the scoring that combined banjo and trombone, two of my favorites, with a big orchestra in the Quigley themesong. When I was in show business -- so I was foolishly deluded at the time -- I downloaded a CD of Basil's music in a certain radio station's library, and I'm glad I did. Other great stuff Basil did was for Conan the Barbarian, Free Willy, The Blue Lagoon, and The Hunt for Red October. Basil was from Kansas City, Mo. He was 61.

1 comment:

JT Evans said...

It was tuba, I think, rather than trombone. Whatever it was, it was way down in the bass range. And it was delightful.