Sunday, December 24, 2006

Xmas Eve with Family

It's been a good day. While Rosie went to look in on her old parents I washed dishes, Hoovered the carpets, and showered and dressed in a red T-shirt, khaki slacks, and a long-sleeved green plaid shirt, consciously trying to look Yuley. Found out that Amanda was free for a few hours this afternoon and so drove to Louisville to visit her. Our reunions are always good and this one was no exception. This kid always cheers me up and makes me laugh. One thing she is good at is anthropomorphizing pets, attributing human words and behaviors to them. Parker, a neighborhood dog (got a glimpse of him dashing across his yard, guessing from his animation and white coat that he is yet a pup), had walked into a school as if he was going to put his lunchbox down and learn to spell. Mandy gave me a button which I pinned proudly to my shirt; it states "Happy Hollandaise." (That's a sauce, and it's less offensive, I hope, than "Happy Holidays," which Bill Orally and John Gobson have made fightin' words to distract people from more important things Christ would have us fight for.) We got some cheese and crackers and ginger beer and vegan "meat"-balls and went back to the apartment where we ate them and watched Christmas Vacation. I laughed harder at it than I ever have, I think. Clark, Cousin Eddie, Aunt Bethany, Uncle Lewis, the scene at the department store, the home movie in the attic, the speeches, Todd and Margo, Snots and the squirrel -- everything was better than ever. I came home and David and Karletta were here and we visited a little while and then Rosie and I watched It's a Wonderful Life. Great Xmas Eve.

No comments: