Thursday, December 07, 2006

Countdown

You really must see Countdown with Keith Olbermann, kids. It's on MSNBC at 8 p.m. Even if you don't care for the more or less serious political stuff -- lefty Keith is wicked in his scathing criticism of Bush and the more vicious elements of the radical right -- his "Oddball" and "Worst Person in the World" are fun. He starts out at the beginning of the hour with gravity or outrage over the political or military developments of the day and the levity gradually rises to the top over the hour, ending with a spoof, usually with Mo Rocca or Michael Mesto. On Oddball, Keith's always recounting the capers of people committing crimes and getting caught for their incredible stupidity; their fiascoes are told while a cartoon guy in prison stripes, a ball and chain on his leg, and a glum emoticon face :-( is displayed on the screen. "COPS 1, DOPES 0." Strong recommend: George Clooney makes sure to TiVo (sp?) the program every day.

4 comments:

johnnie said...

I didn't think there was any tv like that. I thought all the networks were slightly less extreme versions of Fox News. I'll look into it.

JT Evans said...

You're in for a treat. MSNBC lost Keith for a while to ESPN (he likes sports, exp. baseball, as the more intellectual folks do) and I was happy when they got him back. He's damn good. Countdown and The Daily Show make the daily dreariness that is the news more bearable.

dddonna said...

I too am a Keith fan. One of the few who gets it. I'm still waiting for your comments on our man Lee this week. I hope that you have been following him.

JT Evans said...

Lee is one of my heroes, of course. I'd like him to be the next Secretary of State.