Friday, June 23, 2006

JT Redux

Sixty-seven today. Life is good.

Last night we watched Secondhand Lions, about two old eccentrics (Michael Caine and Robert Duvall) who live on a secluded farm in Texas. This bimbo, their niece, drops her son, about twelve or thirteen, on them. They like to sit on their front porch and shoot their shotguns at traveling salesmen. They have five dogs, a pig, and, after time, a lioness, who the kid talks them into buying, and who he names "Jasmine." (A giraffe makes a cameo appearance.) Michael Caine as a droll, wise old Texan (he's a Brit, you know) is delightful. So is the menagerie. This movie is a keeper. It may soon rank up there with The Milagro Beanfield War among my favorites.

Just finished The Stone Monkey, by Jeffery Deaver. I loved it and there are more. The Stone Monkey has this Chinese hit man who makes Hannibal Lecter look like Mister Rogers. "Lincoln Rhyme," a quadruplegic "criminalist," directs operations from his wheelchair, and "Amelia Sachs," plainclothes cop, and of course a knockout (in this case red-haired), does his legwork. In this novel there is a Chinese cop named "Sonny Li," who has Jackie Chan written all over him. I hope this one makes it to the screen.

Doc Natalie and Jerry are scheduled to trek here from Shy on their BMW motorsickles tomorrow. They're going to camp in Clifty with Amanda and Amber. Can't wait to see them. Natalie finished her internship, yesterday being her last day.

My friend Jerry Y. offered to help with a podcast of film music so that is not dead. Shuck and jive shall not win out!

I continue to exercise, eat right, and lose weight. I have rehab in an hour. It's fun and I'm making great progress.

Sixty-seven today. Life is good.

4 comments:

dddonna said...

Happy Birthday. You truly are an OF. I'm glad you have made it. You are very lucky in many ways. Keep up the good life.

johnnie said...

Happy Birthday, Pop!

JT Evans said...

Thanks, both of you!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

If Secondhand Lions ranks up there with the Milagro Beanfield War then I must see it. MBW is one of my favorites as well. So few people seem to remember it and that's a pitty. Now that I think of it, I'll have to buy it for our library DVD collection...