Sunday, June 25, 2006

Awesome Offspring

Amanda, Amber, Natalie, and Jerry showed up last evening for a birthday gathering. We had carry-in Chinese, birthday cake, and ice cream. They spent the night sleeping in tents in Clifty Falls State Park. I brooded (I do Mother Hen well) while J & N were en route and incommunicado -- all day yesterday. Mandy relayed the message late in the day that they were in Brown County and they said they had 120 miles to go. Knowing that the most direct route was many fewer miles than that, I figured they were so tired that they were disoriented. Turns out they went from 46 down Indiana 135 to Salem and came from there. The estimated mileage, then, was about right. Reason for the "detour"? They still hadn't had enough sightseeing. I went to visit them at the park this morning and they had a shower, packed their gear, and took off on those bikes, heading straight for Chicago. Natalie called before six to let me know they'd gotten home so I wouldn't worry. As I noted a long time ago, i have remained a prayin' man because of my kids. Which always reminded me of when Amanda worked overnight at the gas-and-convenience mart. Blessings on my awesome offspring, wherever they are.

3 comments:

dddonna said...

Aren't our chicks awesome? We are so lucky to have them. I spent yesterday afternoon with John and Cheryl and as we sat in a little hole in the wall cafe on Davis Island in Tampa with the rain pouring down we seemed to be charmed by nothing in particular but each other. Some moments are so blessed. George B. wouldn't have liked our conversation but we were having fun trashing him. Thanks for your contribution in having these wonderful offspring. You are an awesome dad. DE

JT Evans said...

Don't throw bouquets at me... Sincerely, thanks. We did do something right, didn't we? And Cheryl is top kid, isn't she?

dddonna said...

Actually, we did most things right.