Saturday, May 20, 2006

Whaddaya think, Aldous Huxley?

This evening we watched "Charly," starring Cliff Robertson and Claire Bloom. (Excuse the digression: God, how I long for the days when women acted and dressed like Claire does in this movie.)

"Charly," who because of an operation goes from being retarded to a genius (and who then has the good sense to seduce his gorgeous, sexy teacher, played by Claire -- OK -- no more digressions, I promise. Well, just one: the music is by Ravi Shankar and I wonder if it's on CD) is asked by a panel of scientists what the future of civilization is going to be. He replies, “Brave new hate, brave new bombs, brave new war.”

In 1968, I might have thought that was a melodramatic answer. But here we are in this brave new year, our nation at war -- an unjust war (are there really any just ones?) -- killing and being killed, and an administration that is corrupt, greedy, ruthless to its enemies, which include me because I dissent. Brave new hate. And most of the haters claim to be obedient to the One who said that the two great commandments are to love. (Let's see: isn't love the opposite of hate?)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The soundtrack is available on cd. I found it at moviegrooves.com It looks like a site that might be right up your alley! Love you.