Saturday, May 27, 2006

buck, bela, john-john and me

I guess I have pretty catholic, some might say schizophrenic, tastes in music: at the library the other day I borrowed two CDs: one was Volume One of Buck Owens' All Time Greatest Hits and the other was orchestral works by Bela Bartok, the mighty twentieth century Hungarian composer. My beloved son John introduced me to Buck, one night in Florida when Amanda and I were riding in his truck. I never thought I would waste my time with country music, but, true to the adage that there are two kinds of music, good and bad, I swear off my intolerance of good music that happens to be country. John-John likes it, Garrison Keillor likes it, Mick Jagger likes it. We may yet find out that Itzhak Perlman and Yo-Yo Ma are closet admirers of George Jones. (Maybe not, but...)

The Bartok disc contained Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta, which appears in two familiar American movies, "Being John Malkovich" and "The Shining." In spite of the stumbledick I'd counted on to get me to the big-time who instead let me down, I'm determined to do some kind of show on movie music, i-Pod or something, and I'm continuing to do research. It will happen. And there'll be plenty of room for hillbilly music. Yee-ha!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I look forward to your podcast. (That's what you call your broadcast on iTunes.)
I also enjoyed your email last week.