Friday, May 05, 2006

Culture of Death

The American culture of death lost a round when Zacarias Moussaoui received a sentence of life in prison instead of death for his part in the tragedy of 9/11. Jurors considered "mitigating circumstances" in his case and most of them decided such circumstances were great enough to withhold the death penalty. The prosecution and victims of family members were disappointed.

When I say the "culture of death," I refer to those who are almost always "pro-life" in the case of the unborn but otherwise are pro-capital punishment, pro-war, pro-guns, and pro-damnation for their opponents. Their undisputed leader is George W. Bush, who so callously and adamantly blessed the executions of people when he was governor of Texas and who has damned thousands of American soldiers to their death and disabilities for his stinking war.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen!

I was content with the decision of the jury. I was unable to follow the trial so I cannot debate the details, but I do think it is good to be seen as a country with a bit of justice for once as opposed to one that automatically tortures and kills Arabs. In general, I think a good penalty is to deprive a person of what they really want. Moussaoui wanted to be a martyr and this keeps him from being a martyr.