Friday, November 12, 2021

My Twins Are 50 Today

On November 12, 1971, in Columbus, Indiana, my life partner gave birth to a girl and a boy.  We did not know beforehand that there were two babies, so we were stunned even more when the blessed event turned out to be two events.  As I recall, the girl arrived at 9:50 PM, the boy at 9:54.  It was a Friday, as it is today.  I was in the delivery room with their mother and I saw them.  The first thought on seeing the girl was something idiotic like, Who is this strange creature? And, gosh, she's completely naked!  And alive!  And finally, My God!  She's my daughter, our daughter.  And a fine baby girl.  It's a miracle!  And when the doctor said, Get ready for another one, I was stunned, and in a few minutes I was totally stunned when a boy, tiny and red and thrashing his arms and legs like a windmill, also appeared.  We were parents of fraternal twins!  A boy and a girl!  Mother and infants were cared for and bedded down for the night and then I went home to the empty house and called everybody I could think of to tell them we were parents of a girl... and a boy.

They are 50 years old today.  We are grateful.  They have grown gracefully into the fine, mature adults they are today.  We encouraged them to become independent and they learned well.  I could write a book, of course, but today I just want to make note of this remarkable day.  Thanks, Higher Power, for the blessed events.  

No comments: