Saturday, May 30, 2009

T.G.I.F. -- C.Y.B

Thank God it's any day, as far as that goes. I just happen to feel pretty good now and want to say so. To whomever might happen to read this. I often feel well when I'm up late at night like this.

My friend David is 59 today. Considering that, several years ago, he was nearly dead from drinking, smoking, and weighing twice as much as he does now, his having reached this age as a nondrinker, nonsmoker, careful eater, and an ardent fitness disciplinarian -- it's a modern miracle.

My friend Larry got a Toyota this week, a cream puff, and I'm very glad for him. He does home health work and needs a reliable car and his Toyota has a lot fewer miles on it than mine does and mine is a reliable car. Even if it doesn't have air-conditioning or an outside door handle on the driver's side. (Got to get exercise somehow.)

Friends Sam, Lee, Joe and I had a meeting together this evening in the college boardroom. It was swank and we didn't let it intimidate us. We have the place all to ourselves this summer. It has been a gorgeous day after a lot of humidity and rain and it was sweet standing outside schmoozing in the beautiful outdoors after the meeting.

Last night I brought home four quarts of strawberries grown around Lexington, Indiana, about the prettiest strawberries I've ever seen. Rosie made a dessert with ice cream and angel food cake with some of them and sure enough they were delicious. And we have more!

This morning I bought a vinyl terlet seat at Lowe's and replaced the wooden one. The nurse in the house likes to bleach things and the paint on wooden seats bubbles and blisters. I like the new seat better too. Before the meeting this afternoon we planted two tomato starts in a hanging arrangement. I hope they make it.

Listening to Peter Van De Graaff's show ("Beethoven Satellite Network"). Need to get to bed.

Reading Elmore Leonard's Road Dogs. Good read.

If we meet again, we'll smile. If not, this parting was well made.

Gentlemen -- good night.

2 comments:

dddonna said...

Haven't looked at anyone's blog in ages. I hit it lucky when I decided to check them out today. Good read.

JT Evans said...

I reread this and mistook what "C.Y.B" stands for -- it does stand for "Count your blessings." Just in case anybody else mistook what it stands for.