Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Paul K., 1942-2007

Lost a good and dear friend this past Saturday. We had a memorial service for him tonight. He might have said, "It's not about Paul," because he was one to always place himself in the background. It's strikingly apropos that our devotional for this very day was about not placing ourselves in the "limelight" as we try to serve others. But it was truly about Paul tonight: I hope it was all right with him just this once, if he were -- or in fact was -- observing us from the other side. He helped me more than I or perhaps he could have imagined with his simple words, "I don't have any answers" combined with "I'm here."

I miss him. I'm going to try to carry on the way he has carried on ever since I've known him. He was a mensch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This year is 2007.

JT Evans said...

Thanks to Anonymous for the proofreading!