Thursday, February 22, 2007

Fog It All

Tonight Rosie started down the street in the red rocket and ended up in a neighbor's yard on the left side where the road curves, her left front wheel mired in mud so bad that we had to call a wrecker to pull it out.

I could not fault her for the error: this is absolutely the thickest fog I've ever seen in Indiana to my recall. I once was stuck for a couple of hours in a coastal fog in California that was about as bad but I think this present one topped the past one. I could not see the road-hazard flashers of Rosie's car until I got within twenty feet of it.

After dithering around about what to do I called both a tow-truck and the cops. Three squad cars showed up (they have to do something for excitement on such a slow night). The first cop was to my delight a woman -- at last little old Madison allowed a woman to break the gender barrier -- and adding to my delight was the fact that said peace officer was really cute. That never hurts anything.

With all the red, blue and yellow flashing lights we had a regular little festival of lights, making me want to break out the coffee and doughnuts to celebrate. Fires and accidents and the like are social occasions for the dear hearts and gentle people here, especially if no one is hurt or deprived all that badly. And you can count on these people to help.

As for the local literati, of course, yours truly being one of that number, it gives us something to write about.

No comments: