Sunday, January 07, 2007

Epiphany + 1: 13th Day of Xmas

A few weeks ago we bought a ten-dollar fiber-optic "tree," between two and three feet high, for the holidays. It has a cheery little twinkle of spectral colors, especially when the living room is dark. According to tradition, we should be taking it down now. January 6 is the holy day known as Epiphany, and December 25-January 6 comprise the 12 days of Xmas. (Partridge in a pear tree or not. And I'd rather hear "Jingle Bell Rock" sung by Brenda Lee than that asinine song.) But I do love the multicolored lights of the season, and I'm always let down a little when people put their lights away for the year. Seems I recall the perennial holiday lights in the living room of our Ogden friends, Afton and Beverly McKell. Seeing those lights went along with the taste of the little chocolate-covered orange sticks they always had on hand. Which causes me to associate to the chocolate-covered cherries that my Grandma Annie always had during the Yule season.

Anyhow, guess we'll put the tree away until next year, along with Christmas Vacation and It's a Wonderful Life.

No comments: