Tuesday, September 12, 2006

"Courage"

"Courage," Dan Rather used to say.

Sometimes it takes courage just to write a post for a blog. I have a small readership but a vital one. "I love you guys," as Coach Norman Dale says to the Hickory Huskers just before the Indiana high school basketball final game in Hoosiers.

I'm grateful for The Daily Show, "Tonight's Word" on The Colbert Report, and the "Worst Person in the World" on Keith Olbermann's Countdown. It takes a village of comedians and people with a wry outlook on this bunch in charge.

My wife justifiably told me to quit ranting last night and I went for a walk in downtown Madison to give her a break. I recalled the time when the University of Utah was favored to win the NCAA and was upset by UK. (Ugh! Sheesh, with all the odium residing in Washington and Crawford these days I'd forgotten all about the fanatics of Lexington and everything within a 100-mile radius, including of course and more's the pity Madison, Indiana.)

I took a long, sad, lonely walk that night. The occasion of "9/11" and the way it has been bungled and the likelihood that the bums in charge then will continue to be in charge for God knows how long but probably until the River Styx is a solid ribbon of ice.

Lord deliver us. Take care. Courage.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"probably until the River Styx is a solid ribbon of ice."

And you can bet your ass Halliburton will get the Zamboni contract!

johnnie said...

I think about this kind of stuff a lot. I find it's best not to think about this kind of stuff.

JT Evans said...

I know, son. Why worry about it when you can't do anything about it? Guess I need to dust off my old Serenity Prayer and use it more often. Thanks for reminding me.