Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Bail Me Out

I am not a big corporation which has not made its usual big killing of late because of mismanagement, malfeasance, corruption, or incompetence. I am not a CEO who thinks he is entitled to a bonus of millions after blowing billions of my shareholders' and taxpayers' money. I am not a credit card company (honest to God! Can you believe the chutzpah?) which has become rich feeding off the poor and is getting in line with the others for his piece of the pie baked by Uncle Sugar for his buddies at the top of the food chain.

Who am I? I am one of those who does not make a billion or a million or even a hundred thousand dollars a year, certainly not in one gigantic dollop as a bonus, in fact I am one of those who can't even imagine such sums of money. I'm someone who makes less than the median household income of $42,000 and change a year, who actually has to budget and do without because of not having enough for house heat and medical expenses and such things.

Bail me out.

[P.S.: I've added a link to Hightower Lowdown, the blog of Jim Hightower, Populist General of the United States. He was revered by fellow Texan Molly Ivins, and he says the sort of thing I'm trying to say above so much better than I ever could. Read it and weep. And laugh too. Jim has a way with words.]

No comments: