Thursday, August 24, 2006

HP* Rules

Went to a meeting (not at liberty to disclose what kind, of course, or for that matter, where -- don't worry, Alberto, if you're reading this, it's not a terrorist cell) this evening, the first I'd attended since receipt of my 25-year token. It was held at an inpatient treatment facility and there were many people, all younger than I, except for the manager of one of the halfway houses who has forty years. He passed out tokens after the lead (that's pronounced like the present tense of the verb "to lead", not the noun for the metallic element that has the symbol Pb -- I suppose we should spell it "leed," in California in 1967 they called it a "pitch") and there was one person who took a 24-hour token and two who took 30-day tokens. I went to the meeting to meet my young cousin, who is doing very well in the fellowship. I went to bolster his morale and of course mine. I think the objective was achieved. I keep encountering HP through one happenstance or another -- the most recent was the viewing of The Scarlet and the Black, about Monsignor Hugh O'Flaherty of the Vatican during World War II. He smuggled people, including Jews and escaped prisoners, out of Rome when it was occupied by the Nazis; the commanding Colonel tried to thwart him and failed. The end titles stated that Monsignor was the only one to visit the colonel after the fall of Rome, while he was in life imprisonment for war crimes. Visiting people in prison keeps coming up in my conscience because of Jesus' words in Matthew 25: "I was in prison and you visited me..." My cousin is on probation, so going to the meeting with him was the same sort of thing, I hope. I'm going to pursue this thing, with HP's help.

*Higher Power

No comments: