Saturday, July 30, 2005

Saturday Night in Madison, Indiana, Sing That, John Denver

I wanted to name this blog "Window on the World" but thought that was too grandiose. (Like other people who are grandiose for no justifiable reason whatever and know it, I try to mask my grandiosity. But it's in there. It's in there.)

Karletta, my prospective stepdaughter-in-law, is sweetly loquacious and she is regaling my wife with her chatter. My wife is a good listener, having listened to her garrulous mom all her life. (Mom is especially gabby right now, on a steroid high. Mom is 89, Dad 92, and God bless them both, they are hanging on. My wife, besides being a good daughter, is also a good nurse, and takes marvelous care of them.) Karletta's prospective spouse, David, is in his woodshop out back.

What a good boy am I! My daughter, a medical doctor, agreed with me last weekend that I need to lose weight through judicious eating and get my bulky body out there walking -- and I have done just that all week! I elected not to walk one day last week when the THI was 110 (I had actually walked, all 248 lb and 66 yrs of me, the day before when the discomfort index was just as high), but otherwise I've made it out every day for 2.35 miles, according to the trip-odometer on the jalopy, walking the entire length of my street and returning.

We've had a string of fine days again, pleasantly dry such as to be cool in the shade. The eight years my kids and former wife and I lived next to the Wasatch range of Utah, this weather was commonplace. The kids would wear winter pajamas to bed in summer. But I forget. We had an unusually rainy spell that went on for what seemed like at least a year, and the stench of the Great Salt Lake (ever heard of brine shrimp?) was foul and pervaded the entire East Bench, where I was finishing up my Ph.D. I'll take the Ohio Valley, I guess, until the next tornado comes along.

I'm having fun researching movie music for a proposal I made to a radio station. It's a big undertaking and I have been told I would have amateur status only. Fair enough. I have no experience in broadcasting. And I don't know enough about music (ran away from my piano teacher) or movies. (I've seen quite a few and take delight knowing many of the obscure character actors in B movies -- ever heard of I. Stanford Jolley? Look him up on Internet Movie Data Base. And I am learning more every day about movie composers, old ones such as Roy Webb and new ones such as Rachel Portman.) I have mainly enthusiasm, and I hope a few listeners will share it.

1 comment:

JT Evans said...

I. Stanford Jolley was too good-natured and likable to be a villain. But he carried it off,as good character actors did.